Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Am I the only one scared & a little nervous?


"The Senate voted yesterday to give the U.S. government more unconstrained power to
spy on its citizens as it granted telecom companies immunity from lawsuits related to such surveillance. On a 68 to 29 vote, the Senate approved the reauthorization of a law that would
give the government greater powers to eavesdrop interrorism and intelligence cases without obtaining warrants from a secret court. The Senate's action, days before a temporary surveillance law expires Friday, sets up a clash with House Democrats, who have previously approved legislation that does not contain immunity for the telecommunications industry. The chambers have been locked in a standoff over the immunity provision since the House vote Nov. 15, with President Bush demanding the protection for the industry."

This recalls to mind a poem by Pastor Martin Niemiller
First they came for the Jew
and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

No comments: