Saturday, February 7, 2009

Individualism is it a threat?


I have been thinking about this a lot lately for some reason. Perhaps because of what I have been reading/hearing in the news and witnessing recently. It is no more than has always been the case but as we advance into this new era in America, one would think that there would be more tolerance for the expression of individualism and non-conformity. Yet, despite all the extolling that individualism is to be respected and embraced in these United States, conformity is what our society in subtle and not so subtle ways attempts to impose. Being somewhat of an individualist myself, I have found this societal influence to be at times mildly irritating and other times offensive and even threatening. I would like to explore this subject in multiple posts and welcome comments regarding same. To start things off for now, I am going to focus on individual choices versus inherent individual traits such as skin color, sexuality, physical stature, etc.

You may ask; where is this all going? Well, recently I made an individual (admittedly belated) choice to be a vegetarian. You would think from the reaction of some of my friends and acquaintances that I had just become a member of some subservience cult. There is bewilderment, questioning as to why, peer pressure to just eat a little of a “delicious” meat dish, frantic food preparation quandaries, concerns that meat eating in front of me is offensive, expressions that it is not healthy, and opinions that my menu choices are boring, tasteless, unexciting, non-nutritious and just plain yucky. There are many reasons (many private) why I made this choice and do not feel that I should have to justify it – sometimes repeatedly. I was surprised by the reactions and ask the question why. I never have felt compelled to ask omnivores or carnivores as to why meat is such a basic part of their diet, certainly have not subject them to twenty questions, nor offered opinions on the taste and nutritional value.

I have an opinion (and may be wrong) that the impetus for this reaction is not so much of my being a vegetarian but rather a reaction to me not being in conformity with the majority and thus in some way a threat to their life style. But why does my eating a bowl of steamed broccoli versus beef stew constitute a threat? This, I do not understand and would appreciate some insight.

1 comment:

Dan said...

It never fails to perplex me why some people seem to feel threatened by another person's personal dietary choices. I get enough grief and questions simply for choosing not to eat red meat. I can think of a long list of reasons for my choice, let alone to be vegan or vegetarian, yet why should there have to be a need to explain ourselves in the first place?