Monday, December 3, 2007

Tin Man (Sci Fi - mini series)

Part A - I know I promised myself and you dear readers that I would not comment on this series until I had seen all three episodes but last night when the sorceress released a swarm a flying critters from her heaving bosom >> P-L-E-A-S-E !! Although I am a bit of a purist when it comes to the Wizard of OZ, I hated the WIZ and the Muppet's fiasco, I am still always willing to give new ventures consideration (loved Wicked - please, please do not try to make it into a movie). And so I will reserve further comment until I see the remaining two episodes except to say, Richard Dreyfuss as Mystic Man a/k/a the Wizard was worse than Mickey Rooney stumbling and forgetting his lines in Wicked.

Part B - Sorry, could not wait to express a couple of thoughts after seeing episode two. For an adventure story, I must ask where is the adventure? Two hours of mostly slow paced dialogue that did nothing to advance the story. And we must not forget the lame line "shed light on the past to guide you in the future". Guess the quote " learn from history or you will be condemned to repeat it" was copyrighted. And then the redunancy of DG, DG, DG - we get it already - it is an acronym for Dorothy Gale - clever, not. And of course we could not end the episode without more sorcercess boob action For those who thought Return to OZ was dark, now there is even a darker rendition. Like my good friend Dan commented, why didn't they just make this a story on its own instead of trying to mimic WOZ. Finally, must not forget my pet peeve with the Sci Fi channel - too many commercials that go on and on forever.

Part C - Finally some adventure/action in the finale with the OZ turbine and the sorceress straining to plunge the OZ into darkness forever. However, even this could not overcome the wooden acting and monotone speech patterns. Upon the witches' demise, the line "She has melted" was delivered with such a total lack of enthusiaism as to be anticlimatic. And let us not forget other quips such as "Answers are questions, not yet asked", 'If you don't have a heart, you have nothing", "Courage is not about being fearless, it is about standing up to your fears". Over all was I disappointed, emphatically yes; and "I am so glad to be home". By the way, if you missed it, there will be repeat showings and a DVD release. The Great OZ has spoken.

No comments: