Thursday, January 24, 2008

My New Baby

Am the father of a "new baby" now that my other has departed.
Sob, sob, cry, cry --------

Probably should clarify that "my other baby" was a Mazda RX8 2004.

Bought end of 2003 when I was going through one of life's crisis.
I loved that car, the purring rotary engine, sleek design, comfort, smooth ride, etc, etc.
Now living in Philadelphia, keeping the Mazda was just not practical.

Some reasons were:

1) Not a car that could be driven in winter snow.
2) Very low gas mileage.
3) Used only premium gas - getting very expensive.
4) No trunk or cargo room.
5) Become a problem to start up and stalling (weakness of this model after 10,000 miles)
6) A little large for parking in my cramped parking facility.
7) Required frequent oil fills due to rotary engine type.
8) Maintenance had to be done only at Dealer - several miles away.
9) Very high insurance premiums.
10) Booty got scratched in parking garage (not really a reason).
11) My friend, Roger is on his second new car since I got mine (also not really a reason).

So what did I get - a Honda Fit. A fairly inexpensive small SUV. So far like it - small but lots of room on the inside. Got for a even exchange - just had to pay taxes, transfer fees, etc. But why, why - did it take 3 hours at the dealer to conclude the deal. Had to look at models, test drive, negotiate/barter/argue (hate this part - they initially wanted $3,000 + trade-in - had to walk out twice before I worked them down), then listen to pitch on all the add-ons, warranties etc and turn them down). Exhausting process but think it all worked okay in the end. Will miss "my Mazada baby" - she was a fun ride - but here is to moving on.

No comments: