Thursday, August 14, 2008

Smell the Roses


Recently, I read an editorial written by Mike Wood of Instinct magazine that struck me as very pertinent and something we need to reminded during these days. An excerpt:

Do you ever get the feeling that with each passing minute, month, year, it seems like life is getting away from you? Well if you don't, you are one of the lucky ones.

It happens to me more often than I'd care to admit, but that's why every so often I've got to dig my heels in and say, "Whoa! Let's just slow down for a minute, please!"

Stop and smell the roses? Gotcha. Will do. As soon as there are some roses at my disposal for the sniffing. I'm all for it. Perhaps it was best stated by Ferris Bueller: "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it". As the cliches barrel at me, I acknowledge that these hackneyed phases couldn't be more trite. Or more true.

Periodically, it all comes rushing at me, and it sort of takes me by surprise. We are all getting older every day and getting on with with our lives, but have I really ever taken a moment to take it all in? Let it register? Well it is of utmost importance that I (we) do.

Time passes and lives change as we work and play and aspire and dream. We succeed. We fail. We thrive. Sometimes we disappoint. But as we continue on life's journey, hopefully we're trying to live our lives to the fullest without regret. Perhaps to leave behind an honorable legacy.

Pace yourself, live your life, love your life - - don't just blast through it. And if you get the opportunity, don't mock the cliche, smell the roses!

1 comment:

Dan said...

Excellent advice! Smell the roses indeed. Sometimes Roger and I need to take a moment to do this very thing: take a walk around our garden and pause to reflect on the miracles of darting hummingbirds, glistening spiderwebs, and the bees buzzing about the many blossoms. Like so many things, summertime is sweet and momentary.