Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Wrestling with Consumerism


Lately, I have find myself in a bit of a dilemma. On the one hand, we as the public are being told that we should spend and consume as that is beneficial to the economy. It has the underlying effect of creating jobs, reducing our dependence on foreign interests, and raising our standard of living. On the other hand, have been told to save for a rainy day, consume less to save our resources, and to minimize one’s debt.

Personally, I have considered myself a moderate with respect to consumer spending. Most of my spending is usually concentrated on the “necessities” such as housing, food, clothing, medical/dental, education, etc. Also, as a believer in “going green”, consciously attempt to limit my footprint on this earth by recycling, avoiding chemically infused products, occupying less than a thousand square feet of living space, using public transportation whenever possible, etc., etc.

That being said, I just ordered/bought the new iPhone and am feeling a tad guilty while being excited about having one of these new toys. I have justified the purchase with the arguments that it is a multi-functional device thus replacing three other devices, it will be an assist tool in my academic studies and ministry activities, its ease of operation will be a time saver, and will be an enhancement in my communication exchanges. The counter arguments are that in reality it is a “want” not a real “need”, it is made in China, monthly expense will be more than I am paying now, requires disposal of a perfectly good phone, will probably have to be replaced in a couple of years, and woefully I have succumbed to enticements of the advertising media.

Why am I lamenting over this issue? Well, they say confession is good for the soul; but also to point out the life is full of choices and maintaining a balance that works for oneself. Yes, I have bought an iPhone but that does not mean that I am going to abandon my moderate approach to spending and over indulge by buying a fancy car, a giant screen television, huge apartment, etc. But I have to say and believe some indulgence every once in awhile is good for my psychic (soul). Now where is that piece of double chocolate cake?

No comments: